by Mr. Arthur Ty Tanco, Jr. of Chlorophyll Manila
It is an age-old probiotic, but is not known yet to the many here in the Philippines. Mr. Tanco will introduce us to Kefir.
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a cultured creamy milk food with amazing health benefits. It has a refreshing tart flavor that if consumed regularly will help build a healthy immune system and create a balanced inner ecosystem that ensures optimum health and longevity.
Kefir grains (photo from Wikipedia)
Kefir is a probiotic, which means it contains loads of beneficial bacteria strains and yeasts. It is an enzyme-rich food, containing essential minerals, vitamins and complete proteins. Kefir is an excellent source of Vitamins B12, B1, and K, biotin, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and tryptophan.
Origins of Kefir
Kefir is believed to have its origins in the Caucasian mountains of the former USSR. It is also manufactured under a variety of names including kephir, kiaphur, kefer, knapon, kepi and kippi (Koroleva 1988a). Traditionally, kefir was made in skin bags hung in doors which people constantly moved while passing through them. The knocks and the movement of doors helped keep the milk and kefir grains well mixed. Since then, it has become a popular food and drink in Russia, in Eastern Europe and in many parts of the world.
The Benefits of Kefir
1. Kefir boosts the immune system by keeping a healthy population of good bacteria and yeasts in the colon and flushing the harmful bacteria out. In as much as 80% of our immune system starts from our digestive system, all the more reason we have to fortify our body with the beneficial bacteria to achieve a healthy body.
2. Kefir has the cleansing effect in the digestive system.
3. Kefir helps maintain its low pH environment. It is known that disease-causing bacteria and cancer thrive on acids. But these harmful elements don’t stand a chance with kefir’s army of good bacteria and yeasts capable of maintaining low acid levels in the digestive system. It’s not surprising, then, that prevention of serious diseases, relief of digestive disorders, reduction of flatulence, and improved bowel movement are some of the benefits of consuming kefir regularly.
4. Kefir provides a powerhouse of amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals.
5. Kefir has complete proteins to sustain and heal the body.
6. Kefir is abundant with an amino acid called tryptophan which is known to help patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, sleep disorders, depression and even ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) because of its tranquilizing effect on the nervous system. Kefir’s B-vitamins, calcium and magnesium help maintain a healthy nervous system and help regulate the kidney and liver functions.
7. Kefir also provides superb nourishment for pregnant and lactating women, children, adults, and the elderly. It is known as weaning food for babies in Russia and in Eastern Europe because it is easily digested. Kefir has no digestible sugar, making it perfect for diabetics! Studies also showed that kefir’s host of good bacteria block the pathway involved in allergic responses, which makes kefir an ideal food for young and growing children who are commonly at risk when it comes to food allergy.
8. Kefir is also great for athletes and body builders because it offers exceptional nutrition for the body to build not only muscle but also stamina. Kefir is ideal for people who want to lose weight because its ability to nourish and balance the body helps eliminate unhealthy food cravings.
9. To top it all, Kefir is an antioxidant, protecting cells from ageing and toxicity. It also reduces cholesterol by attaching itself to cholesterol molecules and eliminating them from the body. No wonder kefir is being referred to as “superfood” that promotes optimum health and longevity.
KEFIR Vs. YOGURT: The Superior Advantage
Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products. Kefir has the advantage because it actually colonizes the gastro-intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt could not compete. Whereas yogurts have transient bacteria that provide food for the good bacteria that live in the intestinal tract. Kefir has a long list of symbiotic-type naturally-occurring beneficial bacteria and yeasts – about 35 of them – a great advantage over the laboratory-grown bacteria for yogurt which has only 1 strain to about 5 strains of bacteria.
Several beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in kefir that flush out destructive pathogenic yeasts in our body are not present in yogurt. The nutritive value of these friendly kefir bacteria and yeasts are better than those of yogurt because of their capacity to help in the digestion of the foods that you eat. To add to that, kefir’s smaller curd size makes it easier to digest, hence, making it a perfectly nutritious food for everybody including babies, patients and the elderly.
Kefir and Lactose Intolerance
Kefir is good for lactose-intolerant adults and children. Kefir is so abundant with the beneficial bacteria and yeasts that it is capable of providing lactase, an enzyme that consumes lactose (milk sugar). Lactose-intolerant people should rejoice over kefir for they can eat and digest it even on an empty stomach!
Kefir of Chlorophyll’s 2-in-1 Benefit: Our Guarantee
Here at Chlorophyll, we believe in giving you the best of everything for better health. That’s why we combine the natural health-enhancing properties of kefir with natural RAW milk.
Raw milk is milk from cows that eat nothing but 100% natural greens and feeds free from pesticides and other artificial products. Raw (unpasteurized and un-homogenized) milk has all the beneficial bacteria, vitamins, proteins, minerals and enzymes in it. Research showed that consumption of raw milk resulted to better health, clearer skin, better digestion, increased respiratory function, boosted immunity and fewer allergies. In addition, raw milk turns pleasantly sour over time and does not putrefy like pasteurized milk.
The milk you buy in groceries, the ones you’re most familiar with, is the pasteurized kind. The superheating, or pasteurization, is intended to kill bacteria that could spoil the milk during shipping. While that’s good, the heat also kills good bacteria that aid your body’s digestive and immune systems.
Therefore, when you drink Chlorophyll’s Raw Milk Kefir, you’re getting a colony of pro-biotic – beneficial bacteria – in your stomach to aid your digestive, metabolic and immune systems. And since kefir grains are mixed in raw milk, you’ll also get the wholesome and natural goodness of milk with all its good bacteria, live enzymes, and bio-available vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. And the whole thing tastes great because both the kefir and the milk are living food; perfect for a living being like you!
Chlorophyll’s Kefir Products…Perfect for You Always!
Chlorophyll’s Kefir Full Cream Thick and Kefir Full Cream Thin are kefir variations that will definitely perk you up anytime of the day. They’re perfect for your fruit and vegetable juices, fruit shakes, fruit bowls and even breakfast muesli. Kefir Thick Cream may be eaten as is –just grab a spoon for a healthier you! Kefir Thick Cream goes great with honey. Kefir Light is drinkable and may be sweetened with honey, too!
Chlorophyll’s Kefir Whey is a pro-biotic and a by-product of the kefir fermentation process. Lowest in fats and carbohydrates content compared to full cream milk kefir. It is another nutritious Chlorophyll kefir product ideal for lactose-intolerant individuals because lactose is already removed. It has a tart juicy taste and a light yellowish color. Kefir whey protein is great to drink and perfectly mixes with juices and shakes. But more than being an enjoyable drink, kefir whey offers you much, much more. Rich in proteins, vitamins, and carrying a swat-team of beneficial bacteria and yeasts, kefir whey offers the body excellent nourishment and protection. It is also rich in cysteine and methionine amino acids that raise the body’s glutathione levels resulting to a better immune system. Glutathione is the “master of all anti-oxidant” and may help reduce the incidence of infection. During the 2003 Annual Meeting of the American Cancer Society, it was reported that women who had very high levels of plasma cysteine had a 56% reduction in the risk of breast cancer compared to those who had very low levels of plasma cysteine. The nutrients found in Chlorophyll’s Kefir Whey will surely boost your immune system for a healthier you!
How to Get in Touch with Mr. Arthur Tanco, Jr.? Click the link =)
WORD FROM THE SPONSOR
"I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it."
Psalms 81:10, KJV